It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Usual Suspect 
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please..........I don't live on a Frenchland Island, the invaders got thrown out around 1545 (the date, not the time) and also some Viking and Roman visitors too. We did have some Norman influence later on, but that soon wore off as we became more civilised, and the ways of the mustachioed garlic breathing Frenchmen and women have lost their appeal, so our women now smell very fragrant, and are beautiful and delicate creatures, that can stun a man from 100 paces...and are experts at BJ's too... :oops: :trl

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:28 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Trillock1945[WJDE] wrote:
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please..........I don't live on a Frenchland Island, the invaders got thrown out around 1545 (the date, not the time) and also some Viking and Roman visitors too. We did have some Norman influence later on, but that soon wore off as we became more civilised, and the ways of the mustachioed garlic breathing Frenchmen and women have lost their appeal, so our women now smell very fragrant, and are beautiful and delicate creatures, that can stun a man from 100 paces...and are experts at BJ's too... :oops: :trl

Here they are... they must know Trill 'cos they are emulating the Dinger sig :)

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm

According to Wiki the French had an exceedingly cunning plan, although it appears to have turned out not entirely to their advantage:

At Bonchurch the French landed easily at Monk's Bay, but were then faced with the difficulty of breaking out from what is known descriptively as the "Undercliff". Their solution was to ascend the extremely steep slopes of St Boniface and Bonchurch Downs, which are over 700 feet (210 m) high. The defenders thus had them at a considerable advantage, having taken up positions on the top of the hill.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

The French failed to take the use of premium ammo into account, same as Agincourt

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Fenrisian wrote:
The French failed to take the use of premium ammo into account, same as Agincourt

The real problem, I suspect, is that they foolishly failed to mount spall liners.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Bulldog_Drummond wrote:
Fenrisian wrote:

The real problem, I suspect, is that they foolishly failed to mount spall liners.

Ah yes, with spall liners they would only have been stunned

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Bulldog_Drummond wrote:

According to Wiki the French had an exceedingly cunning plan, although it appears to have turned out not entirely to their advantage:

At Bonchurch the French landed easily at Monk's Bay, but were then faced with the difficulty of breaking out from what is known descriptively as the "Undercliff". Their solution was to ascend the extremely steep slopes of St Boniface and Bonchurch Downs, which are over 700 feet (210 m) high. The defenders thus had them at a considerable advantage, having taken up positions on the top of the hill.

Indeed my good Sir, and on the shore of Monks Bay is where I used to live, and get friendly with girls on the beach on holiday with their parents, which was just fine, except for bloody 'sand hoppers' which would jump around all over the place, rather spoiling the mood.

Boniface Downs as you may well know, is the site of a WWII radar station (another one further along the coast at St. Lawrence where we used to live, until moving to Bonchurch Shore mid 50's), which used to have 3 (I think) very tall wooden towers as masts. The were also a land mark as they could be seen for miles around. I think they were demolished in the 60's....shame. They were there when I went away and joined the RAF, and not there when I came back to live many moons later...........no bugger asked my permission to take them down either...pfffft.

The beach and houses were sometimes shot up by some Luftwaffe fighter chaps, as I guess a parting gesture on their way back to Franceland and bases, but only left behind some shell casings (found later on in some rock pools), and bullet/cannon shells that dug up the beach a bit, probably annoyed the 'lug worms' in the sand, but the evidence soon disappeared with the tide...

However, I digress and ramble......as usual... :oops: :trl

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm

No concrete anti-aircraft sound mirrors on IoW?

http://www.andrewgrantham.co.uk/soundmirrors/

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:01 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Nah, we just made do with two CH radar stations... :)
Boniface Downs as it was back then:

Spoiler:

And now, derelict:

Spoiler:

Not bothered with St Lawrence, as not much to see now, just a few bricked up bunkers, and mounds where the towers were.

Yup, I am off again... :D

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Ah bricked up bunkers. We gotta looot of those here in NL too.. With the slight distinction that ours are all Zerman :trl
Fun fact, in our village we even had a mock/fake German airfield with mock planes to confuse allied fighters/bombers and keep them away from the real one at Gilze/Rijen. There's not a lot left tho, just bunkers and some HUGE craters :-) So apparently it worked

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next