It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
 randomstuff 
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I have had quite a few days like that, not through a dud ssd drive though.................just windows 10 mainly... :roll:
I feel your pain mate.... :)

Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Thanks, Dan. :)

Most irritating thing so far was setting up a Microsoft account and then being unable to change the PC from referring to me with my full name. It's my bloody computer, I should be able to set it up however I bloody want!

First world problem but at least it's up and running. :roll:

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Ah yes, like when I wanted to set up Outlook Express again after a re-installation.
I fill in the email, and forget the password or something to verify, I get told to use the code that has been emailed to me.... :roll:
How the feck do I do that, since I can't use my email account !

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:40 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I feel for you Strap. My 8 year old HP desktop was totally overwhelmed by the latest programmes so I went to look for a replacement. I bought a cool if overpriced Asus laptop. Installed WoT and it’s fantastic. Naturally Microsoft didn’t want me to transfer Office et al., so I uninstalled WoT and all my other games from the old desktop and lo and behold the old bugger started working again. Agony saved.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 pm
Resident Rager
Resident Rager

Are there any Star Wars fans in here? Image

Spoiler:

NSFW:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Nimzo wrote:

Are there any Star Wars fans in here? Image

Spoiler:

NSFW:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Me. XD

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:18 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Yes randoms and frontlines can suck but there are always worse scenarios. Here are a couple for your enjoyment. :beer1

What would happen if gravity reversed for three seconds?

While Dave Consiglio is absolutely right on the outcome, (Everyone Dies™,) it’s far more spectacular than even his answer imagined. The question asked what would happen if gravity reversed for three seconds, not just shut off.

Gravity is not just what keeps you glued to the surface with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s². It’s what keeps the entire planet glued together. It’s what keeps the Moon tethered to an orbit around the Earth. And the Earth in orbit around the Sun.

If gravity just stopped, that would catastrophic enough. The Moon and every gravitationally bound body in the solar system would immediately fly off in a tangential straight line from their present orbital paths. Every rotating body would begin to disassociate and fly apart into a huge cloud of debris.

But if gravity reversed, this becomes even more spectacular. The equation for acceleration due to gravitational attraction is g = G*M/R^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is mass, and R is distance. This goes negative.

Things don’t just disassociate and fly off in straight lines, they’ll actively accelerate in the opposite direction for three seconds.

The Moon disintegrates and turns into an enormous debris cloud. Every planet, every gravitationally bound body essentially explodes briefly. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune… these all shoot apart into diffuse gas clouds for three seconds at the present speed of their gravitational acceleration, plus rotational energy.

The still molten (or partially molten) cores of several rocky bodies, including Mars, the Earth, Titan, a few of the Galilean moons, these fly outward with the crusts at the speed associated with their masses.

And then gravity turns back on again. All of those bodies that just disassociated and flew apart at the speed of their present gravitational acceleration now start to clump back together again, fast.

With the terrestrial planets and rocky bodies, this is a massive rain of molten debris re-coalescing into round-ish bodies. Everyone is dead by the time gravity switches back.

But the most glorious of all is the Sun.

The Sun is wholly dependent on gravity. That’s what powers the nuclear fusion furnace. For three seconds, not only does that stop, the Sun explodes outward.

Now, the Sun is huge. Even at the surface gravity of the Sun being 274 m/s², for three seconds, the Sun only accelerates apart a few kilometers. This would be an insignificant fraction of its radius.

But when gravity switches back the other direction… that’s when the fireworks occur. The Sun’s chromosphere and photosphere, exploding outward, reverse direction and collapse inwards, creating a massive shockwave that flows inward back through the chromosphere and photosphere, then through the radiative zone and convective zone and finally to the core, where that shockwave will likely bounce back and head through those layers again.

There will be, at best, immense coronal mass ejections over the entire surface of the Sun, the likes of which this solar system has not seen since the early days when the Sun was just a baby star eating its way out of its protoplanetary nebula and going through massive variability changes.

Ionizing radiation and charged particles streaming off the Sun spike by orders of magnitude, stripping off and superheating whatever small bits of remaining atmosphere remain on any body left inside the asteroid belt. The few who were not simply buried in the molten rubble because they were in the air in planes are cooked to death by the superheated atmosphere. The handful of astronauts in low orbit might get to watch the whole thing unfold for a couple of days before the CMEs hit and the radiation kills them.

Not only does Everyone Die, everyone is incinerated and cooked into dust and rock. All life in the solar system ceases to exist.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen ... ee-seconds

:t3

What would happen if we brought one cubic meter of matter from a neutron star to Earth?

’m going to assume science fiction magic for this answer and just treat the neutronium cube as a stable lump of exotic matter, since there are a number of challenges to the scenario that we can’t solve with our technology.

A cubic metre of neutronium would mass around 4 × 1017 kg/m³. So that would be 400 trillion tonnes, or about the mass of an asteroid 45 km across.

The gravity in the centre of each face would be around 11 million times Earth gravity (g), and at each corner 3.5 million g. One hundred metres away, the gravity would be only 267 g, and at a kilometre 2.7 g. At 10 km, you would probably not notice the change in your local vertical.

So the first thing that would happen is that everything around the cube would be drawn to it, very quickly. At a hundred metres the fall would take a fraction of second; at 1650m stuff would start rolling towards it as though down a 45° slope at 1.4 g.

When the matter hit the surface (travelling at about a kilometre a second or less) it would be compressed by the extreme gravity into a form known as condensed matter, where the nucleons are in contact and the electrons freely travel among them. This is very dense itself, about a million tonnes per cubic metre. A hemisphere of granite a kilometre in radius would be about 750,000 tonnes, so your cube would acquire a surface of condensed matter less than half-a-metre thick. There would be a great deal of energy released as this happened, equivalent to a hundred kiloton-scale nuclear weapon, but spread out over several seconds.

Presumably, you are holding up the mass with tractor beams. If you released the tractor beams as you realised what an utter mistake you had made bringing this mass to Earth, it would fall toward the Earth at one gee. Hitting the surface, it wouldn’t pause, being so much denser than the rock on which you built your high-density physics laboratory that it would slip through it like a steel weight through high-altitude air. Presumably there would be a terminal velocity for neutronium through rock, which would lessen as the cube got deeper, but my math isn’t up to working it out.

But perhaps, in your panic, as well as the tractor beams you accidentally switch off the force-field that contains the neutronium cube? As others have mentioned, stupendous though it is, the mass of a one-metre cube isn’t enough to keep the neutronium in a stable state, and it will start to disintegrate immediately. The half-life of a free neutron is about ten minutes, leading to it decaying into a proton, an electron and a neutrino. These particles are stable, but the sheer quantity of the first conversions will lead to a gigantic explosion, turning the cube and everything around it into plasma. An explosion that would make our most powerful nuclear weapons look like firecrackers.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen ... r-to-Earth

Wed May 22, 2019 1:25 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Gravity is a myth. The Earth sucks.

Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 am
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Then it must be the brandy that makes me fall over....a lot then.... :trl

Sun May 26, 2019 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 569 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57