It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 UrQuan's Tank Tales 
Officer
Officer

Thanks for the advice UrQuan.
I have all the guns unlocked and bought on the KV-3, and need to play a few more games in it to choose which gun I would play more often.

The 100mm as you say does fire faster, same pen as the 122mm but gold rounds cause more damage - in theory - so I can fire two for near enough the price of one..... :)

But, you have much more experience and knowledge than me, so I note what you say.
It will be a long time until I get the KV-4, assuming I continue down that route, but seeing you play yours encourages me. 8-)

Ah yes, work, that hobby that takes up much of your daily life, but luckily I was in a position to give it up, and just spend my days now in a senile haze of uselessness.... :trl

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:15 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Good to hear you got fun with the KV line! And remember, use what you have most fun with, even if it goes against what most folks think :D I'm guilty of this when I drive the Hetzer. Sure it rocks with the derp, but I so love my sniping hetzer against most advice.

Also haven't forgot the thread, just lots of work taking up my time + got gifted an awesome game for christmas (Mordheim!) & having a blast playing it.

But I found this old gem of mine & still love it. It's from one epic fight in the Pearl River valley (map is no longer ingame, shame, it was among my favorites). No useable replay as it's just too old.

And we shall ride into the Valley of Death

'Forward, the KV-4!'
Was there a man dismayed?
But the teammates knew
  Some one had blundered:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and live:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the KV-4.

Cannon to the right of them,
Cannon to the left of them,
Cannon in front of them
  Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
  Rode the KV-4.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
  All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the unwavering crew,
  Noble KV-4!

And so ended the charge into the Valley of Death:

Poem modified from 'The charge of the light brigade'

The poem above describes the match well. I made an error of judgement & pushed hard in Pearl River valley, despite being severely outnumbered (enemy lemmingtrain!) & enemies being everywhere.
With a little luck & good support from the very few teammates there (but excellent ones!), success was achieved as I crossed the entirety of the valley, despite heavy enemy cannonfire. Meanwhile, our lemmingtrain got decimated by the valiant enemy defenders at the cap.
One last showdown at the enemy cap followed. My KV-4 against a superpershing, in a time where I did not know his weakspots!
Was one thrilling duel, but I overcame him as people gave me tips on where to shoot the blasted thing!
Ever since that match, Superpershings stopped being an issue to me & I can pick m apart, even at medium ranges (long range is still trouble if not firing prem ammo), for each time I meet a superpershing, I think of this fight & remember where to shoot the bastards!

Replay (not usable sadly, but can still be nice to view the result-screens) KV-4 bullies it's way to victory

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:56 am
Officer
Officer

I too used to like the Hetzer, but then we sort of fell out with each other, and I sold it for the credits to get the Emil to grind to get the Borsig.
I too used to like the 'sniper' gun sometimes, as people would usually assume I had the derp mounted, and would be bit of a surprise to the enemy with the increased rof.
I may have to try it again, and see how we get on.

I also recently rebought the T1 Heavy as I remember it being quite good when grinding towards the T29 and onwards.
However it was a fond memory which now was not as I remembered, and sold it again ! :D

I liked also your adaptation of the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' to feature the KV-4... :t4
I just hope that when I do eventually get it (I need to play the KV-3 more) it will be pleasant for me, or maybe unpleasant, since I do not have your skills in it as you do.

I admired very much your excellent game with near enough 4,500 damage plus your 6 kills ! :o7
Ah yes, the SP, which I think has the 'hydraulic' cylinders mounted on the top front of the turret, which I believe is the place to shoot him ? The may be others - not the spaced armour - to shoot it, but I am not sure of them, and should really research it to find out.
Like so many other tanks... :oops:

I also saw you in chat last night in a platoon with rusty.....and ummm, I forget who else (sorry), which appeared to be a good game, so was thinking there may be a replay put up today.
Sadly, it seems not.... :(

But thanks for advice, and also great replays, especially in the KV-Fortress. :chrg

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:56 pm
None Clan Member

KV4 OP pls nerf :trl

Just kidding, great game

Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:30 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

I hope you'll find the KV-4 fun as well. An advice I could give is either use free XP to unlock the topgun (changes the tank & makes the rest of the grind more enjoyable) or use the time to collect XP towards the topgun to get an idea on how to use the armor & sidescrape. KV-4 is one of the few tanks that can change a game by absorbing damage instead of dishing it out (in certain circumstances).
Rest of the modules aren't really worth free Xp'ing. (Turret is good, but to use it properly you need the engine & tracks unlocked first imo, as it weights alot)

Also, neat thing about the KV-4 topgun grind is that the topgun is not linked to any module unlike most other tanks + can be installed on a pure stock KV-4.

I did had fun games with Rusty & Soapy that evening, but hadn't gone round watching the replays yet. In the end, there were two nice games I could pick. Either me warming up to the O-I (I'm slowly changing my opinion on it, from 'crap' to 'yea, it's allright' on the fun department) or being a pushy driver in the Tiger P (and forgetting I'm midtier, not toptier)

In the end, picked the Tiger P replay, as it was not only fun, but also shows a dirty shot on a frenchie.

German engineering at work!

Soapy, Rusty & me land in Himmelsdorf. we each pick a different lane to defend/advance, suited to our tanks. Soapy in his rare KV-13 goes for the hill, Rusty takes his trusty T29 to the banana road & I drive my steeled Tiger P towards the rails.
In the first minute it already gets hairy as the first shot of a comet puts me on fire! Well, that's why we have fire extinguishers right...
Then, another challenger appears! An enemy FCM tries to sneak past me but gets a face full of artyhell. As he goes defensive, I spot an opportunity! Clearly unaware of the windows/doors at that railhouse, the FCM moves back & forth, allowing me to aim in peace. BOOM! One less frenchie!

Now my attention goes back to the comet, who got some new buddies by now, among them, another comet! Aware where they are now, I put my frontal armor at work & punch holes in them till they run away.
Before dedicating myself fully to the push, I give some supporting fire on the hill (yay for long range accuracy!) and then push ahead, determined to take out that comet that lit me up earlier!
In doing so I forgot one of his buddies, who takes the opportunity to unload his shells in my back! But in turn, this buddy forgot I had support with me! So he ends up with lots of holes in his chassis!
And then I'm greeted by a nightmarish vision! 4 powerful guns trained on my poor Tiger P!

Hi there. Plz don't kill me!

And my push has grounded to a halt, the IS-3 & T34 have eyes on me along with several meds... Determined to keep the pressure up, I declare Mr Rubble my friend. Using Mr Rubble as cover, I pop in & out at times, firing inbetween. Mainly trying to disrupt their banana road defense, which looks successful, as the enemy now diverts it's attention to multiple lanes. The damaging hits are a nice bonus!
This allows our guys at banana road to push hard & take m out! Victory is ours!

Have fun watching the replay!: Slowly advancing in Himmelsdorf

Really liked that killing blow on the FCM, so dirty. The defense at end was neat too. So far, the Tiger P has exceeded my expectations. The thick frontal armor really works! Coupled with the accurate & high pen gun, it's a fun tank to drive.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:16 pm
Officer
Officer

Hmmmmm, that is all interesting stuff regarding the KV-4, and what I will eventually look forward to.
I'm hoping I might have accumulated some free xp by then, as I only currently have about 1,000, which is not much use at all.
But I will try to remember to come back to your information, which might be in about 5 years time before I get KV-Fourtress. :D

I shall look forward to watching the Himmelsdorf game too, mainly because I recently got the Tigger P, which is kitted out with the top turret. engine and tracks, but need about another 9,500 xp to research and buy the top gun: 88mm L/71, so still having to use the 88mm L/56.

So far I haven't had much luck with it, but it is supposed to be a much better tank mit the L/71 88mm.
Like all tanks I guess. :D

I have seen a review and replays by a youtuber: Reginaldesq (Aussie chap I think) who very much likes it, so there is hope for me yet. :D
Always keep the armour to the front seems to be the key to this tank.

But, tomorrow I shall resume watching this replay, and any others that have been posted today.
Many thanks for your game commentary, and very informative info on the two tanks. :o7

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:43 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

I find the Tiger P fun to use, as it needs to be played differently from the KV's to use it's armor effectively. With the KV's I angle alot and when I drive out cover, I use my sides as shields against incoming shots (sharply angled).
But with the Tiger P, I drive it out front-first, letting it's thick frontal armor do the work of catching shells.

On the Tiger P topgun(s). I do prefer the 88mm L/71, due to it's high pen & accuracy. Some people swear by the 88mm L/56 (higher rof, less aimtime) but imo, with the infestation of jap heavies, I find it has lost it's role somewhat (no clear frontal weakspots on jap heavies to exploit)

Onward to replays! You know the adage by now: 'Never go alone on a flank!' I mean, what can one or two tanks do against an approaching enemy force?
Well if you're a dug in KV-4 with long range support from an AMX 50; a whole lot!
Important to note is in such situations: dig in, go full defense & let the enemies do the hard work of digging you out (and eat shells from your support).
Also pay attention when enemy starts going for your support. Be the alpha tank then, pound them till they know their place: Behind the rock, cowering in fear for you!

I also picked this replay as the start of the match looks like a recipe for a loss, but it shows to never give up & don't let first impressions fool you. Sure, 9 out of 10 times it's on the mark, but for that one time it isn't, it can be great!

Stand your ground! No matter what comes through!

So it begins, we land in Mountainpass south spawn. As both Cronester & Toby drive soft but mobile & hard hitting frenchies, they go for the west road, where they can play out their advantages.
Meanwhile, I notice none of our teammates bother about the valley. Knowing it has alot of nice rocks for cover, my KV-4 trundles down the valley. Initial plan is to spot the enemy & determine their strength.
As we roll on, it's noticed our toptier & another high tier are afk! (AMX 50 120 & the 110) Well that's a fine start! Open flank & two good tanks afk! Ah well, lets go on & make the best of it!
As I turn the corner, I'm greeted by two groups of enemies! One from the bridge, the other comes from the sloped mountain.
After trading some shots & deflecting theirs, the sleeping AMX 50 120 wakes up & calls me to go back, so he can support me. Not willing to take my chances with the mobile enemies, I follow his request & back out, so he can support me better.

As I dig in closer to the base, I noticed the 110 moving as well to support our team in west. Yay! Can't do much myself, got to wait for the enemy who takes their sweet time to come out. But I can't back out as it would leave me too exposed. Pushing would spell doom as well due to the high number of enemies, among them several meds that can flank me!
And then they arrive! Firing & shooting, my armor catches most shells. Sadly, my aiming has gone shot to hell & I fail to land even the most basic shots... Dinging an AMX CDC, it's something.
Lucky, the AMX 50 120 proves to be an adequate support, hitting hard those tanks that try to dig me out.
For a while, it's a slow grinding of HP. I have trouble landing shots, but with the AMX help, the enemies HP & numbers are slowly grinded down.

But it all changes when a ballsy friendly Emil charges in from behind! Splitting their forces, I decide to take the opening, charge in along with a new guy, a Centurion & the AMX. We make short work of the remaining enemies & avenge the Emil that fought so bravely.
As we head to the base, the AMX rushes past me, planning to take out the enemy base defenders. Alas, he falls to the menacing T28 prototype TD who earlier stopped our advancing flank on the other side.
As he calls on me to avenge his death, I fulfill this last command, putting the deadly TD to rest, signalling our victory!

And I shall ride through the valley of death, devoid of fear for my team is with me.

The replay: Hold the Valley!

This was a fun match. Also showcases the strength of good support & a KV-4 in defense. Imo, the enemy could have won if they had divert some of their forces to the midfield instead of trying to break through the valley.
Then again, admitting defeat with superior numbers to two lone tanks can be too much for one's pride. Really curious how it must have looked like form the red team. 1-2 dots stopping all those tanks.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:17 am
Officer
Officer

Indeed a very nice game, especially advancing then defending the valley.
Good help as you say by the AMX and the Emil, which you avenged. :t4

It is nice to see a commentary before the game, so that I can see why you went somewhere, and what you achived, so that it helps me a lot when I then watch the battle. :o7

As for the Tiger P, I got the wrong youtuber, who is in fact Hiroku Dev, and this was his game:

Which shows how much he likes this tank, and how to play it. Hopefully I may just learn from this. :D

Keep up the good works UrQuan. :o7

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

That's a great youtube vid! Nice to see how he uses the Tiger P to it's full potential!

Well, Patch 9.14 has come round, making all replays obsolete to watch (unless you kept an old client around)
But the Dinger teambattles offered a nice replay to watch, showcasing the KV-4 strongpoints. Not many tanks that can advance amidst a bunch of blazing guns to exploit a forward position.
Once again: Big thanks to the Dingers & the Team battle commanders for bringing me along! Can't be easy to command when you got someone who can't use TS.

The Rock is Love, the Rock is Life

Dingers land on the Cliff map, defense. Axarn hands out pointers & directs me to a rock, yay! Classically, the enemy takes hilltop with their lights, keeping us lighted up. Enemy charges ahead & shells start flying. I quickly realize that the spot I'm in is bad for the KV-4 (it is a great spot however for any tank that can go hulldown!)

Realizing the enemy is taking control of the point, I decide on a risky maneuver & advance to the big rock closer to the base. But this means driving into the firing line of their IS-3's & the T34. Deciding the risk is worth it, I drive the KV-4 angled towards the IS-3 tanks at the water cliffside towards the rock.

Enemy's at 92 cappoints! Lets change that!

With the rock as my new hideout, it allows for some extra pressure on the enemy. The team exploits it, but alas, the enemy came prepared & are really dug in at the waterside :| But Snowrelic in his WZ-131 managed to take control over the hilltop!
With the combined firepower, of the team, we manage to take out all but two tanks of their team.
These last two guys prove to be a hard nut to crack, diverting their attention between me & others. The KV-4 takes some hard punishments from them but stands. Sadly, Sessine perishes as he gives it all he got against these dug in IS-3 tanks.

Slowly we're withered down till it ends up in a 2 vs 2, a badly damaged KV-4 & a low HP T34 (driven by Taylor_Swift) against 2 dug in IS-3 tanks. Shots are being traded & slowly we manage to overcome them. As finally one of the IS-3 tanks dies, the other one charges forth, determined to take out at least one of us! But he died a true dinger death, sandwiched between two tanks!

This was a tense teambattle! Managed to use my thick armor & angling in other matches too, but less clearly. KV-4 does have a drawback in most teambattles as it can't use most classic spots as it's terrible hulldown. This does come with the trade-off that the KV-4 excels in using spots that most classic teambattle tanks have a hard time using.

Weirdness of the day: I scored 2 Guerilla awards yesterday within 11 matches (teambattle award: Kill 10 tanks while you are undetected at the moment of the killing) Apparantly, I now drive the KV-4 Stealth.
I suspect (as some folks mentioned) dodgy programming, because I really have a hard time imagining I score 10 kills in 11 games without being detected. That or the KV-4 really does have stealth capacities.

Replay is here: Hug that rock!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 pm
Officer
Officer

Very nice game, and a very nice Dinger sandwich at the end for the win. :D :o7

No need for me to say any more, since you covered the play well in your above commentary, and it meant I could enjoy the game sort of knowing what was going to happen, and enjoy it when it did. :t4

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next