It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 UrQuan's Tank Tales 
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

The team battles are alot of fun & a nice change from the random matches. The good exp (yay for crew!) is nice too ofc.

Next match is a bit of an oddity. More a luck then skill match as enemies played into my hands by coming one by one. Always good for racking up that damage!
But it does highlight the problem with Japanese heavies. They got very strong frontal armor, but the moment they face a gun that can pen it, it loses all value as angling won't save them. This means a tank like the KV-4 is their bane, as it has thick armor & a very good pen gun.
Also not platooned in this match, the heresy!

There can only be one Fortress tank!

Okay, the KV-4 lands top-tier in Pilsen, south spawn. Nice map with good opportunities to sidescrape & push. I'm off to the factories, going defensive as I notice not many come with me.
I park behind the factory & let the enemy come. 2 TD's appear & the fearsome O-Ni rolls towards me. Initially, I place a shot in the borsig, hoping to scare him away. Meanwhile the SU-122 & the O-Ni approach me.
Realizing the situation, I decide to pump shells in the O-Ni, to slow him down & it works! However, the SU is being a pain, but a shot of opportunity finally silences him. The Borsig finally retreats as well as he fails to damage me.

Shortly after, the O-Ni falls and a new challenger appears! The O-Ho, carrying even more armor & firepower. A proper challenge this time, two heavily armored T8 tanks facing off against each other!
But quickly, the KV-4 superiority is clear. While it lacks the front armor of the O-Ho, it more then makes up with the side armor, allowing steep angles to tank the shots. On top of it, the high pen of the KV-4 topgun makes short work of the strong O-Ho armor, unable to angle as it would weaken it even more against this gun.

You are in my domain now! Feel my wrath!

After these two encounters, I go into a third 1 on 1, with over half my HP left. The final opponent is a full Hp indien Panzer. Despite his best attempts, he dies without even a single shot damaging me as he gets pummeled by my counter-fire. Angling is everything!

Ended the match with a nice Steel wall & High caliber. Had 3 nearly pure 1 vs 1 encounters in this match, where only the final shot was taken by another tank.
The match does highlight the major issue with the Japanese heavy armor tanks. Namely high pen guns (or prem ammo) makes it useless as they can't angle alot without exposing their weaker sides, while the KV-4 can still angle greatly to counter the high pen guns it faces (up to a limit ofc, but it's much more flexible in armor usage then the japs).

The replay: Asserting KV-4tress dominance

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:28 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Nice replay - I really wish i can Ace my KV3 so the crew can get to work in the KV4-tress. :t4

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:09 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Thanks for the comment Sessine!

Been a while since I posted a replay, got a few thrilling matches on the way, but little time to write about m. But got more time up ahead, so maybe this week will be productive one on TankTales!

The current replay is a bit of an oddity as you'll see me driving a new tank: Cromwell B (T6 prem med) fun little zoomy tank. A real med that can't take a hit. Quite the difference from the usual tanks I drive!
This one's on Erlenberg (the map with the river) with a Dinger cromwell B platoon! As I'm new to med play, you'll notice me making some odd choices probably + lack of handbrakes! Which gets addressed at end.

Cromwell B farming damage with Luck & Skill

So it begins, 3 Dinger Cromwells B on north spawn. We go to the east hills, but stumble on the enemy med team. Slowly but surely we can root them out as I pretend to be a heavy, tanking shots & returning them. By the time the flank's clear our other flank has fallen & an hostile O-I, accompanied by an SU-100 & ELC AMX go for the base.
SU-100 dies first as he's on low HP, but then begins the chase! ELC goes on the hunt as I'm a one-shot by now with the O-I supporting the light tank.
After a thrilling duel, I run off, luring the ELC after me. As he jumps the ridge I blast him to smithereens! A beauty of a shot!
2 down, 2 to go: O-I & TOG

Channeling the KV-4 spirit in the Cromwell B: Get hit by O-I for 0 damage
Luck factor: Maximum!

Now that he shot me, I know I got the time to nail him down before he reloads. Arty is helping too (yay)
Last opponent: the TOG II with a dazzling 1400 Hp (still full HP) and a real basecamper. Excellent practice target for vision control & abuse to farm damage!

Channeling the Unicum Dinger spirit: Redline sniping!

Check the minimap & vision circles. As long as he's on the edge of my vision, I can see him without him ever seeing me, allowing me to farm damage without risk. great way to practice vision control/abuse.
With the TOG standing no chance, he gets slowly but surely grinded down to 0 HP & the game's won.

Result screen + my first accusation of being a hacker!
That XP! And it's not the daily double!

Replay here: Carrying in Erlenberg (Link fixed: contains correct replay now!)

I do thank my platoonmates Brisha & Pansenmann in guiding me. Their tips & advice helped alot in the match!
Pansenmann noticed my lack of handbraking, so he went through the effort of doing some trainingbattles with me, to get a feel for it.
Got to say, handbrakes are not only fun to do on meds like the Cromwell, they're also very useful for sharp turns, sudden stops, keeping guns on nimble targets & dodging shells.
Got to say, despite the very different play, Cromwell B is definitely a fun tank to play, a fresh change from heavy & slow armored tanks.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:33 pm
None Clan Member

You can get banned for nami.... oh wait :trl

Just kidding, well played :t4

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:05 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Thanks for the comment Drako! I still got alot to learn about med tank play. but so far, the Cromwell B has been a fun experience.

Now back to tanks I usually play. While I sure love the KV-4, the ST-I is also a heavily armored machine I enjoy, simply because it plays different enough from the KV-4 to retain interest.
Its hull is lackluster at times, but its turret is strong. Coupled with the big alpha gun & you got one hell of a tank.

In the upcoming match, it's me (ST-I) & Dennez (T-10/IS-8) rolling around in winter ruinberg. MM got weird too. We were toptier in the match, 4 T9 tanks each side, 2 of those being arty. So an MM that both favours us (yay only 'real' tanks as toptier) as crapping on us (really 2 T9 arties...).
So lets begin!

Hold the line!

There we go, riding our toptier heavies into position in Ruinberg. A few of our team follows, but the majority goes field. not a bad move considering we got the most mediums & enemies got the heavies. Does mean we'll get a hard time in town tho.
As we roll into position, the enemy arrives in number! Quickly we dig ourselves in, preparing for the enemy attack.

Come and get us you bastards!

The enemy floods in town & starts pounding on us. We retaliate, firing at whatever tank exposes itself to much. Shells ricochet off my turret, return fire hurts whatever tank lingers too much. Dennez punishes any tank that grows balls & tries to approach us.
Slowly but surely, we are grinding their HP down. But the enemy proves more efficient & our numbers in town dwindle.

In the end, it's just us two against the enemy horde. realizing the opportunity, a hostile SU-152 sneaks up on us, but Dennez notices him in the nick of time!
A frantic & epic fight ensues, but with a sliver of health left, Dennez emerges victorious. This heroic act makes the other enemies go 'That guy's too dangerous! Lets liberate the field!'

And then the cavalry shows up. Our team rides into city, gunning them from behind.
Using this opportunity, we ride ahead, into the field, chasing the fleeing stragglers.
Now it was just cleanup duty, mopping up the remaining hostiles.

The glorious defenders ride their victory parade. Look at all them wrecks!
Don't worry, no cap victory. Last enemies get mopped up after cap got reset by one.

You can check the replay here: Hold the line!

This was some excellent teamwork with Dennez. Couldn't have done it without him, as the enemies would have rushed me then. But thanks to him, enemies stayed where they are, allowing us to slowly grind them down.
Also, when the SU-152 showed up, he had my back, as I couldn't turn around & giving the E-75 an excuse to rush us.

With good teamplay & support, an armored heavy in a good position can hold back armies (because most players are not willing to die for the team)
So while you see all these heavy armored tanks being all badass at times, keep in mind they can only be that dominating, because they got support that's equally impressive & got their back!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:38 am
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Finally managed to get a second second MoE. And scored it in a thrilling game with the Stug III G.
Cheers for everyone who tooned with me in the Stug III. You all made this possible!

The match starts a bit classic with a boring shootout at start, but slowly it evolves into more active play. Teammates & enemy provide some distraction in chat as they seem to be annoying each other.
PS: I drive my Stug with the snipergun, just love the rof, accuracy & pen of that gun!

A charging sniper

Landed on Malinovka, with my toonmates Samuval & Excavatus driving their T67 TD's. Initially I set up to snipe targets of opportunity behind a double bush across field.
Despite it being pretty crowded, it works.
Once the targets are exhausted (either dead or driven out) I relocate to the other flank (with some driving back & forth)

But the enemies break through our lines & charge our arty! I do my best to help, but one arty perishes before the attackers are downed.
Slowly, the T67's try to establish view dominance, but the enemy Stugs make it hard, as they're also fit with the sniper guns (very accurate gun, won't miss at shorter ranges).
Doing my best to assist, but the enemy hides well & manages to take out most of our attackers.

As Excavatus gets taken out, I change my approach drastically & go into the front line, using my low profile & the terrain to stay hidden.
2 of our bottomtiers decide to come over, to assist us in the spotting. To help them out & Samuval, who tries to root out the enemies in the forest, I pick a nice spot, allowing me to shoot targets in a wide area across the enemy base.
But alas, the enemy is well dug in & takes out both our helping lowtiers as Samuval. Now it's just me, the Birch arty & a useless AMX 40 against a full HP KV-1S, stug III, T67 & 2 arties. Can't count on Birch helping as he is out of radiorange (he can't see my targets) AMX could as well be afk; so in reality, it's just me now!

But now I roughly know where they are & they didn't spot me as I shot earlier. Time to charge in & surprise them!
But then the T67 comes out in an attempt to take me out, but alas it is him that gets wrecked (with thanks to Excavatus' looking out!). Keeping the ridge between me & the hostile Stug, one of the enemy arties perishes.
Next up is the Stug III, the most lethal adversary. Roughly knowing he's close to that small lake, I decide to go round & surprise him from behind.

Mission success! Enemy Stug is taken out! 3 down, 2 to go, Grille & KV-1S. Riding around the base, I finally spot the Grille & take him out as well. Decided not to take chances with the KV-1S, I go for capping.
PS, shortly after I kill the Grille, pay attention to the 'friendly' AMX 40, he shoots at me... (during play I thought it was the KV-1S, but in replay you can see it's the AMX 40, firing at me without provocation)
Reason is that the KV-1S has been unspotted nearly the whole game & likely has full HP. Then he gets spotted, close to our base. I take a few shots, but without result. After this, I plan to just cap out & guard ridgeline, to shoot him if he would show up too early.

But he takes his sweet time to move (guess the KV-1S was the enemies' version of our AMX 40 driver, a useless tanker). and the base is capped! Game won!

Was one amazing game, with both skill (using terrain) & luck (keep missing arty, this way I can win the game!) involved. Couldn't done it without my platoonbuddies.
Roughly half my damage is done sniping, other half in closer-range fighting. Also scored a dazzling 7 spottingdamage, amazing!
For the replay check here: Charging Malinovka base

Hope you'll have fun watching!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:04 am
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Next up is a match in my beloved KV-4. Me & brisha were helping Flakese grinding his Ferdi & we had a good streak of games so far.

This match lands us in Ruinberg with some T9 opponents. Brisha's driving the T34, me in KV-4 & Flakese in his Ferdinand. We land in some heavy trouble, with superior enemies in town.

The KV-4tress rides again!

Noticing there's no arty, we're off to the wide road to push/defend. Having some fun chat as we go. But as we ride into the street it turns out it's a trap! Enemy gives Brisha's T34 a full barrage & ends him right there. I only made it out alive due to my slow speed.

Determined to avenge Brisha's early death, I use his wreck to hold the enemy back (together with a helpful T30). Holding the line well this way, slowly grinding their HP & numbers down.
Meanwhile Flakese is helping out the other road. Town looks dire, but our team is holding out well.

Dead or alive! You WILL help us win the game! No Dinger death shall be in vain!

Then our field team comes assisting through midroad, the signal for me to push ahead, driving back the enemy. Going round to assist our other city team by flanking their enemies, but the hostile T-10 (IS-8) sees through that plan. Still dies.
Shortly after, enemy T-34-100 tries killing the bulldog, holding his fire as I keep my tank as a wall between them. He fails as well & follows into the grave.

That 1 HP survival... Living wall in effect, got to protect teambuddies!

Now the final showdown. Their last heavy is a T-10 (IS-8) as well. During the game I had noticed he loved flanking others from behind, using that superior mobility of his (for a heavy) to finish them.
Expecting him to pull this trick against me, I turn around & lay in wait.

Surprise!

And so he gets finished with help of the Bulldog (who lays the killing blow) I did good in keeping him alive earlier, as he also sent their bulldog to the scrapyard shortly before!

Was a tense but fun game, kept our good streak of games going! Also great use of the KV-4's armor against their team, only their Conqueror didn't had much trouble penning me, hence my super-careful gameplay against him.
Despite Brisha's early death, he was instrumental in holding the line. His wreck provided cover at an excellent spot, allowing me & the T30 to hold the enemy back.
Flakese also did a good job defending the city, helping the other city team to hold back the enemy there.
The replay: The KV-4tress rides again!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sun May 01, 2016 10:38 am
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Love reading these!

Sun May 01, 2016 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Officer
Officer

After being AWOL for so long and not watching replays, I thought I had better make a start. :D

I was also interested choosing the first game, to find that Brisha had his T34 out - and having just bought one, but not played it yet, I thought it would be fun.
Unfortunately poor Brisha copped it by overwhelming reds on the other side of the cross roads, but, his wreck (as you pointed out) provided sterling service for you and your KV-4$ to hold them off and dish out some serious damage and death.

It didn't look good for a while with the score 4-7 (I think) but you and the team soon put right that wrong, and finished with a nice win, which also help along Flakese with some more XP and credits for his Ferdi. :D

Nice game as usual UrQuan in your stronk KV-4$$ made from top grade Stalinium reinforced with the pubes of Stalin. :o7 :t4

Sun May 01, 2016 3:35 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Thanks for the comments. That last one was indeed a quite tough battle, but lucky we had a competent city team (and a KV-4 on the roll :mrgreen: )

Next match shows off the KV-4 as bottomtier. Much harder to perform decently, as it's armor is far less impressive then; lucky it still retains a good gun ( good pen & accuracy). Also something to keep in mind is that the KV-4 has side armor that rivals / exceeds most TX heavy tank side-armors.

MM lands our platoon in Artic map (Mannerheim Line) east spawn. Me in the KV-4, Flakese in the T-54 First prototype and Cronester in the Jpanther II.
We're bottomtier in a match that features plenty of Tier 10 and tier 9 heavy tanks & TD's.

Charge those meds!

Okay, looks dire. Can't do much with the KV-4 in the classic heavyspot with such powerful Tier 10 & Tier 9 tanks around. I do notice their med tank line-up is lackluster, so off to the medium flank I go.
One of the few times where our diverse platoon sticks together at one flank.

Being slow, I arrive late at the north hill & 3 enemy meds are already putting pressure on us. Noticing they don't have heavy duty fire support (yet), I decide to break one of my rules (never charge into meds alone) & take the gamble as I got some good support (my platoonbuddies among them!)

For the Motherland!
CHAAAARGEEEE!

As their meds panic, we make short work of them. Their T-54 prot rams me out of desperation with little effect, wrecking his tank further. As we put the pressure on them, their heavy duty firepower arrives, a T30!
As I eat a shot in an attempt to support Flakese better, I'm a oneshot & make an error in positioning, staying too far back to be able to help Flakese as he keeps the enemy back :| I try angling/position in a way to help, but the spot I'm in is notoriously bad for any form of assistance.

It takes Cronester charging them in his Jpanther II, to make me finally move & charge in alongside to help out Flakese.
But alas, it's just too late. The T30 finishes off Flakese as I hesitated too long. Determined to correct my mistake, I charge in, angling against the T30 position to maximize a 0 damage shot from him.

T30, I'm coming for you!
Oneshot KV-4 charging a 1K+ HP T30, the madness is real.

It's working! As I ride to the T30, his shots either ding or get eaten by my tracks. Cronester assist me well alongside this ride, forcing the T30 to minimize his expore time & take snapshots at me. Together, we beat down the T30.

And then a final challenger appears! Catching us by surprise, the Borsig opens fire at me, but bounces. He fires a few shots at me with little effect (my poor tracks!), remaining unspotted.
But then, he suddenly gets spotted & we focus him down. Match won!

Replay here: Charge those meds!
Walked out with a Steel Wall in this one. Got shot at 16 times & lived to tell about it.

When you're bottomtier in a heavy, you can be more creative in where to go, as shown here. I was far more useful facing those meds then being an XP pinata in the valley (too many heavy duty tanks & Td's present)
Normally, I advice against charging into a bunch of T8 med tanks with a KV-4 as they can rip you apart easy with their mobility. In this match however, I did that as team could support me well from the hill + it was needed to push back the enemy before they could bring some heavy duty firepower in to pin us down.

The T30 fight was a bit of a mess as he had turned me into a oneshot early in our meeting. Initially, I showed far too little initiative in engaging him, leaving Flakese to his fate.
Second part of the engagement went how I planned it however. Kept an eye where he sat & angled against his gun as I approach him, maximizing 0 damage shots against me.
It worked great & we destroyed him.

Tanking the borsig shots on the other hand was pure luck, had no idea he was there (I assumed he was still camping that ridge at the other flank) but lucked out as he failed to damage me.
Not sure how we suddenly spotted the borsig at end, but not complaining as it allowed us to end him.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Fri May 06, 2016 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next