It is currently Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 UrQuan's Tank Tales 
Officer
Officer

As usual another nice game UrQuan, with the help of fellow Dingers.

Yep, that T30 was a bit of a nuisance, but over come in the end with the help of the JPII Dinger, and with the destruction of the Borsig the game was won. :o7

Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Yea, the T30 gave me some headaches, but when Cronester charged in his JP II, I knew I had to act as well, making that armor work.

Next up is a KV-2 platoon match with Pansenmann & Flakese. It's Lakeville Encounter with us being toptiers & a good load of arties present.

My Flag!

Lakeville Encounter! Off to the city we go, with some fun banter along the way.
Enemy goes for a quick cap, but we drive them out fast. During this initial battle, I get hit by a Hellcat in the engine. This hit can only come from the middle lakeville road...

Pansen & Flak decide to push for the red team spawn. I however prefer to stay in town, capping. This was because the Hellcat had middle road unopposed & it has a good viewrange, allowing arty to home in on any slow tank advancing to their spawn.
Initially their push goes well, until arty homed in on them & ended their brave charge :(

Meanwhile, I supported the team by blasting the enemy tanks spotted at the middle road (no Hellcat tho)
But then the Hellcat appears & he takes on my capping buddy, the Excelsior. Lucky the guy manages to off him, only to be offed in return by a hostile Grille behind him.
A quick shot & I avenge him.

By now, the cap is almost complete, but it's encounter & it goes slow. Just me versus another Grille & an SU-100Y. He cleared our spawn & was coming for me, so I position myself to give him a warm welcome.
As he turns corner, I take my time to aim, may not fluke this shot, as the SU-100Y packs a serious punch as well in his gun. Aim, aim, he turns, BOOM!
A few moments later, the cap is completed & we win!

Replay here: My Flag!

My first Invader medal on the KV-2! Only took me 872 battles to get it. Along with a Topgun.
Some fun notes; scored 7 hits on tanks (one didn't die directly), resulting in 20 (!) critical hits, taking out modules & crew. KV-2, the wrecking machine! Poor Chaffee got wrecked the hardest, with 6 crew/modules lost in the blast; that's gonna be a costly repairbill...

I did violate a critical rule in capping here; namely: secure flag first, then cap (either to secure a win or put pressure on the enemy)
Instead, I went for cap pretty early on, with enemies that had plenty of time to come in & decap. Part of why I did it was the enemy Hellcat. Due to the early shot I had from him (the one that wrecked my engine) I could pin his location fairly accurate & knew that if we would cross the plains to fight the enemy spawnpoint, we could land in serious trouble due to their arties.
After all, KV-2 tanks are tall, slow & big, a juicy target for arties.
In such situation, I imagine Voicechat would been great to communicate about this, as typing all that out while action around is troublesome.

Note that capping in Encounter is risky as well, it goes slow & enemies got ample time to react & plan. So both plans were a gamble, but hey, 2 plans are better then one right? If one fails, we still got the other as backup plan!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sun May 08, 2016 9:31 am
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

It's been a long time since I posted a TankTale here. Mainly due to not enough time and badly times patches when I had some.
But I had this great match that I couldn't help sharing. Sacred Valley, toptier. Me in KV-4, LordMuffin in the ISU-152 & Stuka in his trusty Tiger II. Our opponents, 6 members of H3VOC, 4 in IS-6, one FCM and a Chi-Ri.

Hold the line! No matter what comes through the valley!

So the situation looks dire, we got 2 toptier heavies versus their 5 toptier heavies. On top of it, IS-6 tanks make great short range brawlers, so the usual heavy spot at the hillcorner is right out. Initially we discuss what we should do & settle on a defensive spot at the open gap they have to cross.
This maximizes the advantage we have (accurate high pen guns) & at the same time enhances the IS-6 negative aspects ( inaccurate low pen guns)
As we set position, we try to call back the ARL 44 who rode up front, but alas, it is too late, the IS-6 horde has arrived & maul the poor ARL 44.

They have arrived! Stand firm! Stand strong!

Facing each other across the gap, the shootout begins. For every shot we fire, we get 2-3 back, but our plan works! Most of our shots go through their armor, while they have trouble penning ours.
We keep wiggling/moving to increase the chance of a bounce, while our accurate guns make sure that this tactic won't work for them.
As I back out to adapt to the changing situation (they are still closing in), one of their IS-6 tanks charge in. Realizing it is paramount to kill him asap before the rest follows, I focus him down together with LordMuffin & our arty.

With the rushing IS-6 gone, the desire to rush us also got killed. Now we have complete control of the situation & a win is near inevitable. All that's left is to trade shots till they all go down as our meds take full control over the rest of the field.
We avenged our brave ARL 44 driver :o7

The KV-4tress rides again!

Replay: Holding back the IS-6 squadron

Do note that while the replay makes it look easy, it was only made so by analyzing the teams during countdown & coming up with a plan to counter their strong points & enhance ours.
The battle had two critical points imo.
- First was our positioning at start. Instead of going to the classic heavy corner, we choose the chokepoint closer to base, as that nullified the IS-6 strength (brawling), making sure we had support in back as well, to deter their rushing.
-Second was the IS-6 rushing in. If the rest had followed at that point, the match would been far more uglier for us. Sure, they'd get shot a few times & the guy might still have died, but we likely would have died as well, leaving base open.

This replay is a good way to show how important reading team compositions can be & adapting accordingly can lead to being able to hold back & even grind down superior numbers.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:50 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Another nice tale! :beer1

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:54 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Next up is a tale that sounds like fantasy & would make many proclaim 'Replay or it didn't happen!'
It's Malinovka & we're T8 tanks (me in KV-4, tojatu in the AMX 50 100 & Long_Range_Sniper in the Skorpion), enemy gets to enjoy 3 110E5 tanks (2 tooned). Yea, this isn't looking good...

When the Madness takes over

Great, 3 minutes ingame, we lost 2 TX tanks already.... (Grille 15 & E50 M), we also lost hill to the triple 110E5 tanks (any other outcome would been a miracle tbh). This is already looking ugly.
Only beacon of hope, the lone Conqueror fighting on the hill-flank against the encroaching E5's. Meanwhile, our team tries to desperately force a breakthrough across the field, as it seems to be our only hope.
Realizing they need more time & support in the field, tojatu decides to assist them, while I decide to buy some time & charge against the E5 tanks.
Wait? What? Charging a KV-4 against 3 E5 tanks? (and a T-10, it's there too). You gonna throw a crappy outdated tank against the best the American tech tree has to offer? You're mad! MAD!

Yea... I think on the list of *really stupid ideas*, this one has to be pretty high up the ladder.

But hey, I got support: LRS in his Skorpion, the Batchat arty (please hit :? ), the TX Batchat med (oh crud! they just killed him!) and the Conqueror (oh dammit, they just rushed & killed him). At least that rush costed them an E5.
On the other flank, the added support of tojatu allows the team to breach the field-defense & take positions closer to the base, ready to move in.

Now it's 2 E5's & T-10 versus my KV-4 & LRS' Skorpion& the batchat arty whom I hope can hit stuff.
And so begins the final clash, they rush me, intending on a quick takeout of my tank before continuing. *BOOM!* and the batchat arty strikes true! The T-10 is no more! The 2 E5's keep charging in, their cannons blazing. My armor cracks but holds. *BOOM!* And there goes an E5, shattered by LRS.
But the last one proves to be tougher. He circles behind me, shells slam into him, but he won't budge; but I won't fall without a fight. driving & angling like crazy, I manage to bounce his shots on my rear.
We're both oneshots, the moment is tense. I bump into the redline, and then *BOOM!*, the E5 is no more, taken out in that last thrilling moment by LRS' Skorpion.

I think LRS blew up that 110E5 reactor, that was one hell of a flashbang!

Still reeling from the fact I survived my madness, I realize that now we're winning. Our other flank is now attacking their base. Sadly tojatu gave his life in pushing their forest.
One thing left to do for my battered tank; find & tag the last tank for my team, the american T54 autoloader who remained on hill.
But he lies in wait, unloads his clip, but only one shell pens (thank you RNG!) and then runs off, only to be ripped apart by our team in the enemy base forest.
Game won!
And I walk out with a Steel Wall as reward for my madness. And now 'Replay or it didn't happen!'

Here you go: Replay: When the Madness takes me over

Let me press this: Do not ever charge your T8 tank into 3 E5 tanks (+ T-10) It's just plain dumb. Yes even when you drive a KV-4. The smarter thing would been to pull back more in the forest & slow them down for the team.
So why did I do it? Overconfidence + I'm really bad at the camping stuff. Staying back & let them come is a hard thing to do for me, even tho it is a sound thing to do at times.
But I also wanted to force them to choose angles. The E5 only has strong armor frontally, by forcing them to choose against who to angle, I gave support excellent opportunities to pen these armored strongholds easy. And it worked, gloriously.
And I had a dose of luck as well, not gonna deny that, but LRS & the batchat arty helped in making me that lucky to survive. The angling also helped with it. As they say, you got to make your own luck :mrgreen:

Then again, do I regret this dumb action? No not really, now the people at my flank ended up with an epic & awesome game.
Also a reminder to never give up, no matter how disadvantaged the team composition looks. It's not only about having strong tanks, it's also about using/countering them effectively. The E5, while having formidable strong front armor, is extremely bad at taking fire from multiple angles (has some critical modules, like ammorack in sides + thin armor on sides/rear)
LRS exploited this error of them greatly.
And some luck ;)

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:23 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Another great tale from urquan the lore-master!
:tongue

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Cheers for the comments folks!
Next up, showing why the KV-4 (and in extention, the KV line) is the undisputed master in city-battles.

The city belongs to me!

Windstorm, our platoon (me in KV-4, Frostilicious in Lowe & tojatu in the AMX CDC) is toptier. Enemy counters with a IS-3/IS-6 platoon. Tojatu moves north, assisting the meds. Frost & me go town, each of us guarding a bridge.
But the enemy breaches through mid, practically unopposed. Tojatu is unable to assist there as he has his hands full in north. Frost waits a bit, but as he notices nobody moves to counter mid, he's forced to help the team out in mid, lest we fall (enemy ELC is capping!).
As the match can go sour quickly now, I decide to call in my bluff & charge the IS tanks in town, along with the T-150 crossing the other bridge, to prevent them from merging with their team-mates in middle.

Charging across the bridge, the first target is the IS. Despite him being lower tier, he can punch hard with that gun if left unchallenged. Noticing the IS-3/6 toon has a lack of initiative, the IS gets the full brunt of my aggression, taking him out before that toon finds their balls.
Working greatly, the IS-3/6 toon only shows up after the IS is done for.
They desperately try to take me out, but the IS wreck provides great cover for my rear & my angling makes it hard for them to pen me without exposing themselves for a good pounding from my side. It's made all the easier when the T-150 shows up & pokes their rear ends.

Fools! You cannot take on the KV-4 Master! This is the city! This is where I belong!

By now, we regained map control, still one enemy left in our base, but tojatu & Frost will have him cleared in no time.
Meanwhile, I notice one IS-3 is missing & the IS-6 turns his attention away from me, towards the T-150 who is charging in; Brave guy! Lets help him out before that missing IS-3 returns shall we? Turning my tank around, the remaining IS-3 proves to be no match for the mighty KV-4 & quickly gets ripped apart. Now all is left is the IS-6, who spectacularly fails to damage the T-150. Unable to respond to two tanks engaging him, the IS-6 falls shortly after.

You take on the little one, you get to fight me!

Now all is left is the cowardly IS-3, hiding behind a wreck. With the rest of the map under control, tojatu assist us in city, creating an awesome diversion tactic, forcing the IS-3 out his hideout, allowing us to make short work of him!
Walking out of this one with a Steel Wall & High Caliber, my favorite combo. Doubt it would been that easy without the T-150 driver tho.

Replay: The city belongs to me!

This replay is a great showcase why the KV-4 is the superior city-tank. It's boxy armor layout & the city streets allow easy angling to maximize shell-bouncing/0 damage hits against incoming shots, while enemies have to take great risks just to get a shot in & get damaged in the process.
Also shows the value of a bottomtier tank playing its support role well.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:54 am
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Great story :)

felt like i was there :o7

Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:31 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Cheers for the replies folks & thanks for all who enjoy reading these battle reports! Next up is a fun & tense Karelia Assault match, where two competent teams fight it out.

The KV-4 Dreadnought

Bazdaris (IS-3) & me in the KV-4 spawn on the defender side as toptier. Looks good & we decide to go south (closest spawn).
Moving south, the team follows us, but then, enemy is spotted north with several tanks & our team pulls back to reinforce north. Meanwhile, we continue south, where an enemy IS-3 got spotted.
Noticing the enemy is throwing almost everything they got at north, I realize we have to make short work of the south side to have a chance & charge the dug-in IS-3.

Chaaaaarge!

Well, that charge in revealed the FV304 & a T-150, no real threats. Initially, they focus on me, but hardly anything goes through so they switch to Bazdaris, whom gets pummeled heavily.
Despite their resistance, they get mopped up fast & we continue our push into the enemy base, hoping to take out any camping TD's and/or arties.
Meanwhile, north is barely holding out against the enemy onslaught, fighting with all they got. Alas, slowly but surely, our team gets pushed back.

In the enemy base, a few tanks remain. After a short fight, the enemy centurion wins hill, but flees the battle. Meanwhile, the enemy Lorr arty gets a highroll from my shell & dies in a single shot.
Noticing our base defense is collapsing, we rush back to base through the north. In this rush, Bazdaris perishes as we ride into an ambush laid out by a T29 & T-43!
Attempting to do the same to me, their shots bounce time & time again off my armor. Realizing they're no big threat to me, I just have to aim & wait till one makes a mistake.
With thanks to arty, the 'fight' gets shortened as they take out the T29 while I blast the T-43 out existence.
As I ride to the base to help out, I realize the ISU-122S hasn't been spotted all game... Wonder where he is...

Suprise bastardous KV-4!

Ouch! he found me! As he attacked my rear, I have to reposition & kill him asap as right now, I'm nothing but an XP pinata for him. Turning hard right (as fast as this slow steel box allows), my poor KV-4 gets battered by the high rof of this TD. But his time has passed & finally I'm back in business, fully angled. Unable to damage me further, I approach him without fear, blasting away his HP shot by shot until he is no more.
By now, only 3 arties remain, fighting the fight of their lives against a bulldog, centurion & Tiger II.

Then the timer sounds! Only 2 minutes to go! The arties manage to take out the Tiger II before they all perish. The two remaining enemies decide to cap the base while I'm still far out.
Rushing against time itself (2 counters counting down! battletimer & captimer!), I'm trying to get there on the fastest route possible.
What does help matters tho is that neither are on the lookout for me, allowing my 100+ ton tank to sneak up on them at full speed :mrgreen:

10 seconds till capture is complete! 39 seconds till game finishes! Do you feel that adrenaline flowing yet?
Surprise Bastards! You didn't see this coming did you! (That sixth sense flashing up)

Following Bazdaris' advice, I take down the Bulldog first (less tanks the better!). Cap countdown timer eliminated. Now it's the centurion versus me with a rock in between.
As the battletimer counts down, a tense fight erupts

17 seconds: Cent bounces as I damage him.
10 seconds: we damage each other. We're both on low HP now
9 seconds
8 seconds
7 seconds
6 seconds *tension intensifies*
5 seconds
4 seconds
3 seconds: The centurion rushes out
2 seconds: Aligning guns for the Final Shot
1 second: The centurion fires, but bounces. I return the shot & blow up the Centurion skyhigh.

The battle is won!

That was one hell of a tense battle. Mistakes were made, valiant battles were fought & everyone on both sides gave it their best.
Also fighting on the nick of time doesn't help your stresslevels any further. Still, this was one formidable fight, where the KV-4's ability to take insane amounts of punishment helped carry home victory.
One note on this battle; you might have noticed that I assumed rather early on enemy did a hard push north despite many tanks not spotted (yet). Reason was because there was hardly anything in south. This meant that whoever wasn't spotted must either been on the enemy base hill or in the enemy north attack group.

The battle result:

For those who enjoy seeing the replay: KV-4 Sentinel brings victory home

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5