Officer

I feel the same way, except on the rare occasion I play mine. :trl

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:31 pm
Resident Rager
Resident Rager

Trillock1945 wrote:
rustysprite wrote:
It's not whether you win or lose.... it's how you place the blame :D

Which according to Dinger rulez (I have been told) is always Jay, whether he is in the battle, garage, or not on line at all... :D

I always blame fucking arty for my loses.

Always.

Even if there were no skypig clickers in battle which I've lost. :tongue

Spoiler:

PS.
Spoiler:
pure hate to every arta! Image Image

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Officer
Officer

Finally managed to watch the game, and yes, many shiny medals were gained in that battle.

Even that Type 95 firing HEAT at you did nothing.... :D ...and the arty raining shells upon you did hardly any damage, whilst you calmly picked them off one by one.
The red Hetzer was having a bit of a whinge moment, but it all adds to the fun.

I also noticed that you two chaps have slightly less total games than me (well, you 11k and drak 9k, and me about 12k), and you is Green while I am barely Orange.....*sigh :oops:

But your description of the game sums it all up nicely, so not much further needs to be added by me, except :o7

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:12 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

I follow Nimzo's Doctrine about the blaming: It's arties, always arties, even when they're not there, it's arties that caused the loss.

And yus, that Churchill match at end is quite the thing. Know that a single shot can off you, know artyshells have a ton of RNG & then accept your fate & gun them down before one gets lucky.

On the ratings, I think mine's green because I play 1 type of tank nearly exclusive: heavy slow armored tanks (even the few meds& lights I drive are more of the armored type: Matilda, KV-13, H35 & AMX 40). Over time, you just get better if you focus on one playstyle alone.
Throw me in another tank & I shall fail spectacularly (specially drop me in something fast & I make suicidescouts look good)
Think the Stug III & ELC AMX are the odd one out on tanks I enjoy & the ELC has abysmal stats (even tho I really enjoy it when it all goes to hell)

Now back to a new tank-tale. this time, it's not about fighting the match of a lifetimes or doing an epic last stand. But just a lousy match turning funny & memorable through other means. We all know some tanks are OP & UP. See various threads about IS-3. Still, when we meet m in battle, they die (sometimes) confirming that even these metal monsters are mortal.
But what happens when a player, nay a team believes truly & deeply a tank is OP, so OP beyond rational thought they rather die on a useless spot then face it? Well we're about to find out!

The Nightmare is Real

Dinger Toon Time! Cronester mans the funny Chi-Nu kai; Drakozaurs jumps in the reliable t-34 while I decide to drive my new toy, the O-I Exp!
MM decides to do a funny & lands our platoon as the only T5 tanks (+1 arty, but we all know those are not real tanks) on our team in a T7 match! On top of it, it's fisherman's bay & I'm the only heavy on our team versus 5 on the enemy (a 2 man toon of T7 AMX M4 45, a T-150, KV-1 & another O-I Exp.

Match begins & as a good heavy, I make my way to town, alone. I rely on my mobility & gun to do some quick damage before I plan to retreat.
Meanwhile, Cron goes to the medium route, to push across the forest with the support of our allied E-25 toon. So far so good, looks like we'll win the forest push at the cost of town. Drako puts pressure on mid, where he meets some unexpected enemies!

But as I wait in town. nothing comes.... So I start stomping around in town, checking the streets & alleys for a lost tank. None found.
Meanwhile, our guys at the other flanks meet some unexpected resistance from heavies in mid & forest. Eh? Town? Plox? I'm bottomtier! No armor! Alone! Gank Me! Gimme something to shoooooot!

So our team makes some comments about me being alone in town, with nobody of the enemy there. At this point, one of the AMX heavy drivers on the hill loses his cool and goes off a rant. Claiming the map is crap & the O-I exp is gonna hit him for 800 damage.
Turns out my O-I exp (remember enemy has one too!) is so OP that nobody dares entering town, afraid they'll be ripped apart by it.
As he rages on, I get a wonderful opportunity to fuel his nightmares as I spot his toonmate AMX on the hill. One shot, and all that's left of his poor toonmate is but a burning husk. Our team did most of the damage on him, but really, such kill, so perfect, how could I not land the killing blow!

We won that game easy thanks to the E-25 toon on our side & the refusal of the enemy heavies (and any other tank) to go to town.
Undoubtedly, I also fueled the nightmares of that french tanker about O-I tanks roflstomping everything (even tho my only contribution in that whole game was laying the killing blow on his toonmate, by lack of targets)
That episode did turn a mediocre match (nothing to do on this flank) into an awesome game (Fear me! I'm your worst nightmare!)

Screenshot for team composition (also check minimap, that's how empty town looked for the whole game!) Honestly, a hard push with their heavies in town & the game would been a much closer fight.
The Nightmare is Real!

Don't get intimidated by claims that tanks are OP beyond reason folks, else you might end up like that AMX driver!
Edit: No replay as this was before patch 9.13 & most of his commentary was the classic old tale of MM & the game being against him, bad maps & such.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:01 pm
Officer
Officer

Another good story there UrQuan !
Pity no replay, because that just enhances the fun after reading the description, but never mind. :D

I tend to just play heavies, which is tanks and TD's, because they move about much the same as I do, in a slow and lumbering fashion, but still can't get past orange. All I can do is blame arty, the vehicles I drive, and of course the mighty Jay !!
Nothing to do with the crap driver of course. :D

I do have the E25, but rarely drive it, because I am even worse in something fast than I am in something slow, but take it out for a spin now and again because my Stug III G crew fits it. Also because my decent crew that was in the Stug got shifted into my Rhm Borsig, as I need all the help I can get. :oops:

The only mediums I have is the Matilda and the VK 30.01P which I may have sold off when I had enough XP to research and buy the Tiger P Heavy. Can't remember now since it has been a little while since I have logged on and played.
Not sure if the Tiger P was worth the effort or not. :)

But I always enjoy watching replays from all the good players in this klen, just so that I can pretend it is me..... :trl

Keep the stories coming Sir, and replays if available. :o7

Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:44 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

Been thinking what tale I would write out now. Decided to pick one where the replay is still valid to watch.
Also a neat opportunity to show why the KV-4tress is a popular nickname for it.
I teamed up with some new folks from the dingers, Anoar & Grullwow2. Great guys & lots of fun to toon with! After a nice & fun evening, we land as toptier in Erlenberg.

Stand and Fight!

Arriving at the south, we decide for a quick push through the east valley. My KV-4 charges full speed across the road. Anoar's SU-101 provides excellent cover fire. Meanwhile Grullwow2 charges ahead in his T-34-2, securing the hill against possible flankers.
Despite the valiant efforts of a hostile Lowe, the valley is quickly ours & we swarm to their base. But oh, horrors of horror! The enemy smashed right through the castle and are now close to our base. Things don't look good.

Immediately, Grullwow2 & Anoar rush back to our base along the river. With roaring engines I follow at a dashing 40km/H, breaking the KV-4 speed limit.
Yet despite our best efforts, our team rapidly dwindles. One by one, they fall for the enemies onslaught.
Grullwow2 does his utmost best, fighting all alone, close to the base, frantically preventing capping. But the battle grows darker by the minute... The enemy advances still & our team keeps dying.
The odds are against us, 5 vs 10 and declining. But we fight on! The remaining tankers don't go down easy!

And then disaster strikes! Grullwow2 falls in battle as he heroically defended our base! The way to capping our base lies open... Now it's just 3 against 8, 2 of them enemy platoons...
Assured of their victory they march against the last allied stronghold. Our third teammember panics and dies.
Now it's just me & Anoar. A KV-4 and a SU-101 against the approaching enemy team. We entrench ourselves at the heart of Erlenberg.
Anoar's SU-101 guards the bridge, assuring enemies can't flank us easy. Meanwhile I dug in the KV-4 as it's being shot at from multiple angles. Let them come! Here we shall make our final stand!

:t1 Come get us you bastards!

Anoar & me manage to crack some more tanks & quickly the match leads to a stalemate. 2 tanks versus 3 hostiles. We're well dug in, but the enemies keep pelting my KV-4 with their shells, for no effect. 'They Dinged Us' keeps echoing through the tank.
Too slow to respond to enemy gunfire, I have to be patient, wait till one of them makes a mistake...
And then it happens! The enemy KV-85 stays just a second too long in view & BOOM he goes!
With that flank clear & with Anoar guarding the bridge, the two last enemies fall as I go for some aggressive sidescraping.

Our valiant defense against overwhelming odds is rewarded with the rare Crucial Contribution Award! I also get a bunch of awards, but they were only possible because of Anoar & Grullwow2's great play. A KV-4 can only shine with excellent teammates!
Something to note was that after Grullwow2 died, the way to capping our base was open, but apparantly, drunk on Glorious Victory, the enemies went for kill all. And kill all it became, just not for them :mrgreen:
Grullwow2's aggressive positioning to defend our base helped greatly. Just like Anoar who assured we couldn't be flanked easy by pelting enemy tankers to their inevitable end. This caused the enemy to play our game, despite their superior numbers.
And ofc the KV-4 armor, hardly any other tank can get shot so many times from different angles and go 'try harder!'.
And yus, Dinger Platoon, Top 3 of the game!

Spoiler:

PS: KV-4 normally has it's speed limited to 30km/h, but for some reason, I travelled at 40km/h when I was rushing back to base. Spoilered image below shows the KV-4 going a ludicrous 41km/h.
Spoiler:

Replay here: Stopping a 'Kill All!' crowd from winning

After the Lowe dies you can speed it up till the shooting starts (again). Even when breaking the speed limit, KV-4 tanks aren't fast. Also, you get a very good idea how bad the KV-4 viewrange is. At the end, I often can't spot the T29 till after he shoots. Considering I have no damage beyond 300 meters, he managed to get hidden from me despite him being a heavy on a range anyone else could have spotten him.
Another reason to avoid large open spaces with the KV-4, it's really a blind tank!
Also, I had to stop after this, I had the shakes by adrenaline rush :|

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:12 am
Officer
Officer

Indeed a good game, and your description says it all, and especially holding out on the castle flank against many reds... :o7
It was nice when you finally exploded that KV-85 which was being a nuisance and then the IS-3 which both took pot shots at you whenever you moved a bit back or forwards.
That was damn fine to watch to end the game against all those reds hungry for your destruction, but it was them and not you.... :t4 :beer1

I think that KV-4 might be a choice for me, since it is a bit slow, but seems to have some good armour and gun.
Plus I now blame you, because I have just researched and bought the KV-3 to grind towards the KV-4. I had enough XP and some previous modules and guns, to fit the 2nd turret, 100mm gun D10T(?), 2nd engine and 2nd tracks. So some more grinding to do to complete its kit. :D

Not sure if that is the right gun or not, but attracted to higher rof and aim time, to the expense of lower dmg per shot.
I will perhaps give it a go for a game or two, but probably then go for the heavier D25T or D-25-T which it seems has slightly better rof.
Also fitted it with Vents, rammer and gld, plus the usual repair, medi pack and auto fire ext.

Not played it yet though, as I need to get back into the game soon with luck. :D

Now to look up some replays and reviews of this KV-3 to see if I have made a reasonable decision or not............and if not, then I shall report you to the Boss.... :trl

Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:14 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

The KV-3 is a great tank imo. Carries nice boxy armor (good for angling against incoming shots) & carries a big boomstick. I love driving it just for the alpha damage. Most reviews have one item that's a bit outdated, namely the turret: the HD rework made it rounder & more prone to bounces (not by alot but enough to be noticeable). Rest should be ok, KV tanks don't get touched alot by the devs.

For some good tips on the KV-4, Here's two links that can help:

- KV-4: good & bad things & how to play it
The OP in this thread points out many of the negatives of the KV-4 (albeit I disagree with him on the gun) my reply post goes into some more detail about the negatives but also gives pointers how to play the KV-4 (not a solo tank!). Also some tips for fighting with it in the tiers it faces.

- The KV-4 Battleship
Direct link to a recent post of mine, gives you a guide on the most fun upgrade path for the KV-4 & again some (overlapping) tips. Replay in it is above's TankTale :D
You can read some of the other pages of the thread, to get an idea on how divided people are on it.

Hope it can be of use! KV-4 is one of those tanks that can win matches, not by dishing out damage, but by absorbing it.

Now onwards to the new Tank Tale. Once again a recent one. Had a fun evening tooning with Drakozaurs & Bulldog_Drummond (who had to go, so Eimannsberger joined in his place)
We land in Steppes, North spawn. Drakozaurs in his trusty T32, Eimannsberger in the sturdy AT15 & me in my old lovely KV-4.

Almost a goner... Lets anger the enemy!

All goes well, Eimannsberger goes to defend the valley, while me & Drakozaurs go with a bunch of our team to the rocks. looking good!
But as we cross the plains to the rocks, our team spots the enemy & grinds to a halt, leaving us two alone at the rocks. As we position ourselves for good sidescraping times, we spot an overwhelming enemy group of tanks!

Quickly realizing their superior numbers, they rush us! The Lowe & M46 KR lead the charge. They focus on Drakozaurs who fights heroically, damaging them heavily, but alas, I am too late to save him. Then I shall avenge him! Being attacked from two sides, I focus first on the Lowe, as his high pen is a far greater threat. Once mauled, I target the M46 KR who gets nailed as he tries sidescraping against me.
Meanwhile, the enemy arty has a real hardon for me who keeps wrecking my tracks.

By now the rush has been stopped & Drako's death avenged. The arty keeps shelling me, with little effect. But I'm battered, 108hp remaining & an arty hungry for that kill. Our team is still at the hills, held back by a valiant enemy KV-3.
And then the next adversary approaches! A near full HP KV-4 with the best turret but armed with the 122mm cannon.

Timer: 11:28; A Challenger appears! Your Rock Dominance is threatened!

So one good shot & I'm dead. Arty is still obsessively shelling me. The enemy KV-4 doesn't seem to be willing to face me despite my low HP however. So what would be a smart thing to do? Lets piss him off! I advance & shoot him & pull back. Now properly angry, the enemy KV-4 charges forward & shell after shell slams into my battered KV-4 for no effect.
I respond to his abuse with some more shells into him, but the battle is tense & we're facehugging. My armor provides to be impervious to his gun, yet, he only needs one good shot to end me. My nerves are killing me, my hands all tense.
Meanwhile, the arty won't stop with declaring his intense love for me from the sky.

Timer: 10:12; The Cavalry arrives! Rock Dominance asserted!

And there they are! My teammates swarming all over the place & making short work of the enemy KV-4! Not a second too soon. Arty is still out there, shelling me as if his life depends on it, but he's close to the front!
And now the walkover begins. Arty gets shattered; valley supremacy is assured by Eimansbergers' AT15 and Drako's death is avenged properly. Our team marches on & clears the last remaining stragglers off the map.

This was one hell of a match, especially due to that KV-4 & arty. Note, if you ever land in the same position as me: DO NOT PISS OFF THE ENEMY without a good cause/backup. It's not a smart thing to do when you're a oneshot.
Also, enemy could have won our flank easy if they did a proper rush, but for some reason the enemy KV-4 hesitated when his teammates ran into trouble. Don't ever do this when you drive a KV-4 yourself, you're the biggest, meanest thing on the battlefield when toptier!

In this replay you notice my classic playstyle: Find (hard) cover, make friends with said cover. In this game: Mr Rock was my friend, Mr Rock protects me from arty, Mr Rock protects me from (easy) flanking, Mr Rock allows me to be badass without getting punished (too hard) for it.
This is because in the current gameplay, 180 mm of flat front armor is not that good, so you got to cover it up. Do sidescrape like a king tho, because only a Maus beats you in side-armor (TX Jap heavy comes close)

Replay here: My Rock!

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 am
Officer
Officer

Yep, watched it. I don't know why the red KV-4 sat there looking at you, since he was full health and could take a few shots, whereas one shot from him would have finished you off.
Still a good think in a way, because when he did make his move, most of your team had caught up and a shot from the T34 ended the KV'4's attempt at glory. :t4

Nice game UrQuan. :o7

As for my new and shiny KV-3, I still can't make up my mind which gun to use. Have looked at forums and some reviews, and one side says to use the 100mm gun, and others to use the 122mm D-25T with 4.88 RoF, whereas I reckon the D-25-T with exactly the same pen/dmg but with a 4.08 RoF is better.

Anyway, I have tried the 100mm and a 122mm and like the 100mm for quicker RoF, but it is early days yet.
Since the tank is new to me I have had some good games either top tier or bottom, which usually happens to me. After a few games I usually end up bottom tier all the time and have crap games....thanks WG. :trl

Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:43 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

They're both good guns really. I'm part of the 122mm camp tho :mrgreen: The two 122mm guns are nearly identical, the only exception is that one shoots faster then the other. I know 19K exp is alot to upgrade it, but you best unlock it before the KV-4, as that gun will be used till you can unlock the ZiS-24 gun on it. It's also part of the 'needed' unlocks before you can progress, so best get it out the way on the KV-3.

Reason I prefer the 122mm above 100mm is the big damage, 390 will scare even higher tiers. It's also a great detracking tool. See an IS-3 charge at you? Fire at his front wheel. Might not damage him, but it'll surely wreck his tracks, leaving him helpless for a time.

On the other hand, using the 100mm gun will prepare you better for the KV-4 gameplay, as it's a heavy armored tank with a gun that doesn't do impressive damage.

Have fun with this image proving that KV-4 tanks can be skypigs too!

Death from above!
100+ ton dropping on you, rest assured, it's the last thing you'll see before returning to garage. (bonus: KV-4 barely gets scratched)

Part of the thread reorganisation, I put the opening story here, to preserve it & free up wordspace for the opening post.

An Epic Fjord Tale

Once upon a time, 3 Dingers wanted to have fun. Each of them picked their Tier 8 heavy tank and pressed battle.
They landed in Fjords as top of the tier, delighted they happily went on their way.
Alas, the team pinged & complained, their tanks not up to the task, they quickly crumbled.
Till only a few tanks remained; who stood alone against superior numbers as the base fell.

But the brave Dingers wouldn't quit: 'we shall surround them!' they said.
And so Pea_Nuts went to the base, driving his trusty T34.
He would not be alone, Gojaz, last of the team members, accompanied him in the funky HTC T28
Thrael7 drove his powerful IS-3, determined to clear the path to victory.
Behind him was Urquan, assisting the noble quest to victory with the sturdy KV-4

And they fought, steel clashed steel, shells fired across the map, explosions rocked the city.
Slowly but surely, the tide was turned, the enemy aggressors pushed back, their numbers dwindling.
Shot after shot slammed into the old KV-4 but he did not yield, determined to outlast them.
The nimble IS-3 answered their call, his shells wrecking the enemy, demoralizing them.
Assisting the brave warriors, the HTC T28 withered down the enemy as he stood in their fire.
But it is through the power of the T34 that the enemy met their end as none survived the fury of a Dinger unleashed.

And so it ended, a battle thought lost was turned around by the determination & will to fight on, no matter the odds.
The final briefing saw these brave fighters rewarded by an avalanche of medals, reflecting their courageous stand.
Shiny & coveted, the Radley Walter award was granted to Pea_Nuts who finished off every tank he came across in his lethal T34.
For his strong assistance & drawing the fire of the enemy with his strong HTC T28, Gojaz was given the Confederate award.
Thrael7 was granted the High caliber award as he brought pain and suffering to the enemy with the power of his IS-3.
UrQuan withstood great punishment in the immovable KV-4tress and so was given the Steel Wall award.
But there was one last award, granted to the Dingers platoon.
For their determination to turn the tide of battle against all odds, Pea_Nuts, Thrael7 and Urquan were awarded with the rare Crucial Contribution award.
And so ends this tale of bravery, awards and self-praise!

Replay here (sadly not from Pea_Nuts or Thrael7's point of view, as I think those would be more exiting to watch):
Crucial Contribution: Turning a game around at Tier 8
Was one hell of a game, tense but fun.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Last edited by UrQuan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next