It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 IS-6. 
Officer
Officer

Is it worth it as a Ruskie trainer ?
I believe it has preferential MM ?
Just thinking of adding another Prem tank to my collection for the spiders to congregate on in my garage.

I thankyew. :b3

Thu May 05, 2016 5:20 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I don't have it but it was strongly recommended to me as a first prem - great armour, made even better by the HD model and a great credit earner. Gets preferential mm but main gun only gets 175 pen on standard and 215 on prem. 390 alpha with Rusha snapshot ability, one of the best press-W-and-keep-clicking tanks.

Despite recommendations, I bought the Lowe instead because I was going up the German heavy line and thought it'd be better as I could use it for crew training too. I still kinda regret that :(

Thu May 05, 2016 6:23 pm
Officer
Officer

Yep, it seems to be a bit like Marmite, you either like it or hate it.
Well I think I will get it, cuz I can't do any worse in it than any of my others. :trl
Thanks for reply. :o7

Thu May 05, 2016 6:54 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

I have it and even though my WR is decent in it - I regret buying it.

Why ? I think it's a crapbox of a tank.
Premium tanks are designed to make credits - this needs premium ammo to do much with (so negates the purpose of being a premium tank). The pref mm is only because the guns so terrible and anyone half decent knows where to pen it.

You'll make more credits and have more fun with the IS-3. (if you really want a premium russian, get the IS-3a when it's back on sale).

Thu May 05, 2016 8:23 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

One of my favourite premium tanks. when top tier you can absolutely shit on the smaller tanks.
The gun struggles against armored targets, but your armor is often so good that you have the time to aim.. they will never pen you. :trl
Take care though, as the roof of the tank is weak. Opponents with that knowledge will aim for it.
When meeting tanks like the O-HO however.. you won't feel of much use.
I'd say buy it. It does not require much skill compared to most other tier 8 premiums.

Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 pm
Clan Diplomat
Clan Diplomat

A way to know if you'll like it or not gun-wise is this: The gun the IS-6 has is quite similar to the KV-3 / IS 122mm topgun. Same pen, same damage, same accuracy & aimtime, just slightly better rof on IS-6.

Know this is the gun you'll have when you face your T8 & T9 opponents. If you're fine with it (shoot the weakspots/front wheel sprockets), you'll have a good time with the tank.

UrQuan's Tank Tales

Thu May 05, 2016 10:41 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I had bought 100 122mm gold rounds 3 years ago on discount(!). I had never touched them till I played the IS6 on rental. I may have gotten a shitload of credits those 4 days but having to use a nearly forgotten stack of gold shells says it all. I could 've bought it at some point but I never convinced myself to do it. Now it's tougher than ever. Some say IS3A is better despite the 3-man crew and normal MM. Being able to stick with standard shells always seem like the better option to me.

If money's not an issue it's a forgiving tank and we all like those, don't we?

Thu May 05, 2016 11:14 pm
Officer
Officer

Well, I succumbed to the need for a new shiny thing and bought it.
I think I have played it once, got a win in it for the XP, but the win was nothing much to do with me........what's new ? :trl

But, I will use it for crew training for my IS-3.
But, I have played the T34 a fair bit more, and in TB last night, and find it can make a fair bit of credits, without resorting to firing gold, but have 10 shells loaded just in case.
The reload is a couple of seconds longer than the IS-3, but no worse than some of my TD's.
The T34 is the crew trainer for my T32.
So far I rather like it, as long as I can get the big fat bugger hull down.

But thanks for all your valued advice chaps. :o7

Fri May 06, 2016 12:14 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

It's a troll tank for sure, IF you can get to playing it right. It's not exactly a brawler, but it's not a sniper either. Side scraping with one can be masterful, again, if you get it right, the angling of the armour is really nice, though the much spoken about weak spot (the roof) can be somewhat overcome by not sitting still and waiting to get blowed up, after your shot, wiggle it, just a little bit (Acid groove?), the other weak spot that hasn't been mentioned, is the drivers hatch. Bloody great paper cover, right under your barrel. angle and wiggle, should take care of it for you.

As for having to shoot prem, well, no, not really, if you get yourself into a nice positron, just behind the brawlers, you gain more time to aim for weak spots of your opponents. Granted, there are times when you just cannot rely upon the standard shell to do it's job, so prem has to be loaded, but mostly if you get into a T9 game. If you get into T8, then you can beast it.

So, in summary, it's a good tank, if you use it right. The armour can be used to great effect, if you angle it correctly, and the weak spots can be overcome with some thought and planning. It's a beast as top tier, and makes good monies.

Enjoy!

Fri May 06, 2016 1:55 pm
Officer
Officer

Thanks skud, for your advice.
I have read and seen some YT reviews, and it is as you say, but it is suggested that prem ammo would most likely be used against T9's...depending.

I was going to try it out last night in the TB, but only got as far as trying out the T34, as I was mostly advised to use the IS-3.
I was also going to run the T32, but never got around to that either. :D

I shall try it out a bit more in randoms or maybe a toon or three at some point.
I have also yet to try out the SU-122-44 (mit my Obj704 crew) but haven't got around to that either. :D

I just wanted to get a prem, tank as a trainer for the USA and Ruskie line, and the only trainer I have in ze German line is the E25, and not really looked to see if there are any in the heavy line, which is what I run.

Thanks again, and nice to see you in the TB last night. :o7

Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next