It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Centurion raac D-Day 
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Not a great game for most of you, but it was for me!

I think it was progress in in 2 ways, 1, I made a ood decision (a real rarity) and changed position from my usual fruitless corner fighting, to go hull down, and 2, I actually managed to get hull down, without prompting, and it was great.

So it shows progress is being made. And I enjoyed it too!

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4473583#overl ... k_5_1_raac

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 am
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Hey mate, I watched the replay and I have some extensive notes which might be helpful to you in improving your game. I don't hold back pointing out how you could have done things better so I always ask a new poster if they want the advice or just someone saying gg wp.

As always I will leave it to you :)

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

gg wp

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

drogo wrote:
Hey mate, I watched the replay and I have some extensive notes which might be helpful to you in improving your game. I don't hold back pointing out how you could have done things better so I always ask a new poster if they want the advice or just someone saying gg wp.

As always I will leave it to you :)

I must point out I am aware of my deficiencies, I was not trying to say it was a great game, quite the reverse really, but it was for me at my general standard! :mrgreen:

Fire away by all means mate, and I will accept your help in the spirit that it is offered, what I mean is that so long as I can understand and assimilate it, I will certainly try and put it into practice!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:56 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

dennez wrote:
gg wp

Thanks Dennez, I hope you dont mind but I highjack your Donkey Sanctuary room on TS, as I like the name!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:57 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I am only trying to help improve your game. I found personally that watching back a replay after getting some constructive criticism helped push me past being a light blue player to where I am now (2.5k wn8 with 2.8k recent). With that in mind, I hope this helps.

At the start you waited 42s before moving, effectively giving up any chance of early damage. With a lot of games being over in 5 mins now that is almost 20% of the game gone. Use the load time to formulate a plan and start moving towards that as soon as the counter ends. 15 seconds in make sure you look at your mini map and see the team deployment. Ask yourself if you have enough back up to carry out your plan and if not change it, its always best to be at the front of a lemming train than on your own on a flank. On Overlord a good initial place for a tank with good depression is F6/7 bush or the F9 bush. If you ever want to do a tour of the maps just let me know and we will arrange that, map knowledge is super important in getting better at the game.

Ok so after 42s you start moving and to my horror, you go beach! The reason why you will never find better players going beach is because once you have killed anything that pushes into you your game is effectively over. If you push on they will have TD's to wreck you, if you turn back it will take you so long to rejoin the fight you might as well not been playing. Basically you are limiting your damage potential to what the enemy team sends against you. Luckily in this game you had a 1xt9, 1xt8 and 2xt7 so plenty of hp to farm. The next time you play overlord you might get nothing and that's your game. Hence the phrase NEVER GO BEACH!

OK so as you pointed out yourself, you made a mistake corner fighting with the heavies and you realised that and corrected it by going hull down. This is a good thing, seeing a plan isn't working and changing it is what you have to do all the time to get max damage from a game. But if you ask yourself, as soon as you see which map you are playing, "what are my tanks strengths and where can I use them on this map", you should find yourself getting into these situations a little less often.

12 mins 30: Have a look at your mini map. The guys that went east have won their flank and are now wrapping round. Ideally you would have been with these guys getting loads of clean up damage but unfortunately you are stuck fighting a corner against heavies and a TD.

12 mins: OK so now we are into our hull down position using the strengths of our tank. Now we have to know what can hurt us and use that information to dictate how we play. Hull down only the O-Ni and the arta can cause us any damage with their HE. If other switch to HE then we will have to worry about them as well. So now we know what can hurt us what can we do about it? Simples, kill the O-Ni first. Arta is going to shit on you in that position if they want to and honestly there is fuck all you can do about it other than pray they don't notice you and rng fucks them over. Instead of killing the O-Ni you put an easy shot into the Tiger and only kill the O-Ni on your 2nd reload because he was the only thing to shoot. Shot priority, think about who can kill you and kill them first.

Oh yeah and please, please, please disable x32 zoom. X16 is more than you ever need and x32 limits your vision so much. You never see decent players using it because it become so easy to tunnel vision with it. Unless you have vision problems there is simply no need for it.

10mins: We are now entering the end game, it all about making sure you clean up as much of the remaining hp as possible. This is where we trade our hp for more damage. The Tiger has not spotted anything for 20+ seconds so it would be safe to presume they have disengaged. Now would be the time I pushed up to F2 to support the tiger in a push OR go back up the ramp now to engage the VK4502A hull down.

9mins: You could use the wrecks of dead enemies and team mates as hull down cover, moving from one to the next as rolling cover enabling your to continue pushing. Always look at the environment and see if you can use it to your advantage.

8mins: There is very little damage on the table now. You know there is a VK4502A above you you could engage or 2 arta which are very likely beach as your team have pretty much the rest of the map. Either way you have about 800hp left to farm but you have to act fast to get it. In the end you humped the back of a tiger and very slowly and very cautiously pushed the arta even though they would never be able to kill you. So you missed out on all of the remaining damage which would made the game 4.4k combined with 4 kills (a 1st class for sure).

I hope this helped and has given you some ideas how to think when playing in the future. If you ever want help in the training rooms with anything as long as I am not TBing or running boosters I will be happy to help.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

It all makes sense Drogo, and sincere thanks for taking the time. I'm a bit slow on the uptake with the game when seen as a big picture like that, but can agree that it all makes very good sense.

The trouble is I have to work with what I have got, and so bearing that in mind the only thing that works is for me to take small aspects of the game one at a time and try make them second nature, like now I am trying to identify hull down places, and use them. A few weeks ago, I had no grasp of hull down at all, so that there on the beach was a breakthrough!

But that's all my mind can assimilate at a time, if I would try to memorise and think on all the points you raised, I would go into meltdown, if you see what I mean?

The time I spent at the circle was me thinking, oh no, not this bloody map again, where will I go? I agree, map knowledge must be the single most important aspect, among many aspects. It is slowly sinking in, but slowly.

But on the positive side, some of the points you raise may well come to mind in a game, and, I can at least say I will not give up lol! :enfl

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]