It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 A Miniart 1/35 T-54-3 Build Thread 
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Hello folks, whilst I'm back home and just before I pop off back to uni, I was able to snag this fairly fantastic kit for a fair £35, about £25 off from its retail price! I thought it'd be fun to do a build thread on it since I'm guessing most of us here like tanks :trl I'll only be using brushwork, and while I wouldn't call myself too poor at painting, I also wouldn't call myself very good :Sml

Anywho, onto the kit:
Spoiler:

(I'm hoping I can work out how to post images here, otherwise this'll be a quite boring thread :kid )

Spoiler:

The box is packed really heavily, the sprues themselves seem to be designed in a way to fit neatly on top of each other so there's very little air space in the box.

Spoiler:

As a result, it made packing the stuff back into the box a real pain :tongue

Spoiler:

That is around 1,000 parts spread over 71 sprues. The kit is exceptional detailed, featuring a complete turret interior, drivers compartment, engine, with the only part that I see lacking is the rear transmission. I suspect its been left out as there's no real access hatch for it so once its been built you'll be unable to see it at all.

Since this needs to survive the 4h car journey back to uni tomorrow, I've only worked on the track links. Around 190 individual track links that need painted and weathered, and then cut out from the sprue. Its quite annoying and fiddly, and very time consuming but on the plus side you can get more natural-looking track sag and much more detailed tracks. I've thrown them all into a plastic bag since I can't actually fit them back in the box :tongue

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm
Officer
Officer

Individual track links - tricky but you can get the sag looking correct. Looks like it's going to be a lengthy but rewarding build :o7

GB: Matilda, AT2
German: PzKpfw 38H735 (f), Marder II, Hetzer, StuG III, JagdPanther, E25, JagdPanther II
Chinese: Type 59

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:26 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Imagine if WG sold premium tankss consisting of 999 virtual tiny bits and we had to assemble them and pray that everything works in battle...

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

So these are the track links:
Spoiler:

I paint them rubber black, then drybrush with light gray, then another drybrush with aluminium. There's 10 of these sprues and they take forever to cut out :tongue

I just finished this little thingie, got the Universal Carrier kit from my brother for my birthday, but since that in itself is a bit boring to me, I made it a bit more interesting.

Spoiler:
ImageImage

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:20 pm
Officer
Officer

That BGC is rather cute :chrg

GB: Matilda, AT2
German: PzKpfw 38H735 (f), Marder II, Hetzer, StuG III, JagdPanther, E25, JagdPanther II
Chinese: Type 59

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:55 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Oh jeezus, i saw the picture with the thousands of tiny parts and i was like..

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:38 am
Profile ICQ
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

oooo that carrier looks great

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:14 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Nice! I remember the days when only T-54/55 kit was made by Esci… Are you actually going to build that interior too?

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:57 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Ruuhkis wrote:
Nice! I remember the days when only T-54/55 kit was made by Esci… Are you actually going to build that interior too?

Yup! At home I already have a Tiger II with the complete interior so this should make a nice comparison with it :D

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Excellent stuff, I look forward to seeing this develop. :)

Way back when I used to do tabletop gaming, I'm sure one of the lads who was a skilled modeller used to use metal tracks that you could buy separately. A quick google brought up this site although it looks as though the tracks could cost as much as the rest of the kit. :shock:

qpranger wrote:
Imagine if WG sold premium tankss consisting of 999 virtual tiny bits and we had to assemble them and pray that everything works in battle...

Obvious Swedish tech tree joke.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next