It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Usual Suspect 
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

I remember going on a school trip to Holland, and visited Amsterdam, great place, met a girl serving in a department store, and she was called Hanni Ottenvanger......this was back in the mid-late 50's, early teen. I also remember the cops walking around with side arms, so me and my mates were always on our best behaviour too..
We stayed in a place in Rotterdam, and visited the coast where there was (it seemed) miles and miles of lovely sand dunes and beaches. On these beaches were derelict gun bunkers, and under the sand were connecting tunnels to each bunker. They were not too far underground, as there were air vents spaced along the roof of the tunnels, but we explored them a bit just using cigarette lighters. Nearly came a cropper when we reached a huge pit which was full of old cables, and nearly fell down in to it too. That was enough excitement, so we returned back the way we came. As nippers, this was all exciting stuff to us......... :D
I have a feeling I have spouted all this crap before......... :oops:

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Nope, i like to hear stuff like that. Tho the bunker didnt do the Germans much good once the Muricans started spraying them with white phosporous :trl
Theres a shitton of bunkers in especially Zeeland, me and my brother used to sneak into them back when we were there on vacation with my parents in the 70's-80's

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Her name is probably written Hannie and her full name was then Johanna.

It´s amazing how short the time is that we started to use ´any name´.

Nowadays it´s all short names with way an unexplained Hardy influence: http://www.svbkindernamen.nl/int/nl/kin ... rd-brabant

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Yup dennez, the bunkers above the sand were all intact, but guns removed, and still German writing on the inner walls in 'italics'....wel distinctive anyway, and not a clue what they said.
It was places along the under sand tunnels that were a bit derelict, as the black cables were just sort of 'flowing' down into the pit, and I guess communications to the various gun bunkers, but don't know how far under the sand they went, as we could only go as far as the deep pit, whatever that was for. Wish we had decent torches, but we weren't prepared, just surprised at the gun emplacements, and of course just had to go and have a nose around. Twas only about 13-14 years old though.

Sessine, as for Hannie, I think that was how she spelt it, and we did converse by letter for a little while when I got back home, and sad panda face because of the gorgeous girl serving on the petticoat counter in that store, that I would never see again..... :D
I suspect those petticoats were before your time, but back in the 50's they were the 'fashion' for teen girls, as they they made of foam and stuff so that they were a bit like wearing a shuttlecock under their frocks. :)
Somewhere amongst all my old junk in the loft I have her name and address written down, and still remember her from all those years ago.....*sigh.... :)

Interesting and some nice names for girls on that link Sess... :o7

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

For those born <60's its all Catholic names here, usually shortened. After that it became a bit more liberal and nowadays its exactly like the link Sessine posted. If you called out these names at any child daycare a kid would respond for each and everyone of them :-)
Also you can see which provinces are still very pious. especially Zeeland, the names there differ a lot from the other provinces
Thankfully me and the missus were a bit more creative with our kids.

And Trill nothing like the bittersweet pain of girls long lost but still remembered vividly.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:41 am
Profile ICQ
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Thanks dennez.
I have fond memories of visiting Holland (as I call it), from the ferry from Dover (I think) over to the Hook of Holland, and the visits to Rotterdam, and Amsterdam. The people were very friendly and met up with a few local lads a bit older than me, who took as around the places, and with their own language, to help us out for the few people who didn't speak English. I remember knickerbocker glories, some thing like a waffle with syrup on from a seller from his stand, some go cart racing, and everything we visited. The open land with of course tulips growing in the fields, so many fond memories from there.

Then of course was my crush on Hannie (if I have spelt her name right), and of course she will be a grannie now..... :)
We did write to each other (her English was good), but it didn't last long, as time had gone by, but I still have fond memories of that short visit to her store, and of course, being a young teen I fell in love with her...... :D ...........but these things fade away, except a memory.

In the past I have been chatting with a very nice chap on his channel, where he made a few videos of exploring around his area, and some tanks: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgWwKU ... 2gC5vYA3Ig
He has a shop too, and mostly seems to be posting games now, rather than explorations.
But, a very pleasant chap though, and good English too, since my Dutch speak is non existant.... :oops:

Anyway, I would love to go back to those places, and always wanted to visit Germany too, but they are just dreams so far.............unless I win the Lottery... :trl

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:03 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Well it is very possible that Hanni knew other Hannies and thus edited the name a bit more.

Petticoats are before my time but google helps there. :trl

Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Yup, google very handy sometimes..... :)
They were all the rage back then, and jiving, and even I managed to do it too, and the hula hoop. Today my spine would break and my legs would fall off if I tried it. :oops:
I really ought to go and find that address of hers, ya never know, she might have lived near you ! :D

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:07 pm
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander

Trillock1945[WJDE] wrote:
Yup, google very handy sometimes..... :)
They were all the rage back then, and jiving, and even I managed to do it too, and the hula hoop. Today my spine would break and my legs would fall off if I tried it. :oops:
I really ought to go and find that address of hers, ya never know, she might have lived near you ! :D

Or she could be his mom. And you... :Sml

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Clan Soldier
Clan Soldier

Lol....a nice thought Jogga, but it would be a bit difficult as I only managed to have about half an hour chatting to her on and off, because customers would not bugger off and go and find something else to buy. Then of course there were my mates sayint 'Bloody hurry up, the coach is leaving in a couple of minutes !', so I had to leave, sobbing, distraught, and threatening to go and hang myself............not really, but my mind was trying to be helpful..... :trl

She could still be beautiful or, a wizened old grannie or both........... :trl

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next